Poland suspends footballer Rybus for contract with Russian club | Sport

Keep up to date with all the sports news. We have set up special pages on our website for football, tennis, skating, motorsport, cycling and darts news, on which the most important matters in these sports.

Poland suspends footballer Rybus for contract with Russian club

5:36 p.m.: Polish footballer Maciej Rybus is no longer welcome in his country’s national football squad for the time being because he recently signed a contract with Russian club Spartak Moscow. The defender is therefore almost certainly missing later this year at the world championship in Qatar.

Rybus played for Lokomotiv Moscow for several years, but transferred to another club in the capital on a free transfer. National coach Czeslaw Michniewicz then announced that he was removing the player from the selection. “Given the current situation, I will not call him up for our training camp in September. When it comes to the selection for the World Cup, I don’t take him into account either.”

Given the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Polish federation does not consider it appropriate to play football in Russia at this time.

Valgren misses Tour de France after crash

5 p.m.: Michael Valgren cannot participate in the Tour de France. The Dane broke his pelvis on Sunday in a crash in the Route d’Occitanie. “It was my own fault,” said the EF Education-EasyPost driver of his fall. “I wanted to show myself with a view to the Tour. I went over my limit on a descent.”

Valgren won the Amstel Gold Race in 2018 and took bronze at the World Championships on the road last year. He was looking forward to the Tour de France which will start for the first time in his native Denmark on 1 July.

Kohlschreiber announces farewell

4.39 pm: Philipp Kohlschreiber has announced his retirement. The German tennis player ends his long career at the latest at Wimbledon. The end of his career may already be imminent: Kohlschreiber still has to qualify for the main tournament of the grand slam tournament in London.

On Monday, he won the first qualifying round by beating France’s Grégoire Barrère in straight sets (6-2 6-2). To reach the Wimbledon main draw, Kohlschreiber, who occupies 230th place in the world rankings, must win three matches. Wimbledon kicks off on June 27. “I’m happy to have another game here and maybe I’ll make it to the main tournament,” Kohlschreiber said. “I will try to enjoy every game. Perhaps the last breath will last a very long time, we’ll see.”

Kohlschreiber won eight tournaments during his career, including three titles on the clay in Munich and once on grass in Halle. In 2012, he reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon. In that year he was in 16th place in the world ranking. “It was a great and wonderful career. It has been a long journey and I have fantastic memories,” he says, looking ahead to his departure.

De Jong stranded in Wimbledon first qualifying round

3.13 pm: Jesper de Jong failed to reach the second round of the Wimbledon qualifying tournament. The 22-year-old De Jong, the number 216 in the world, lost in the first round in Roehampton to the 34-year-old Ilija Marschenko from Ukraine. It was 7-5 0-6 and 6-4 for Marchenko, who occupies the 275th place in the world ranking.

In the second qualifying round, Marchenko will face the winner of the match between Jason Jung from Taiwan and Austrian Filip Misolic. To reach the main tournament, three matches must be won.

Later today, Jelle Sels and Gijs Brouwer will be in action during the first qualifying round for Wimbledon. Sels starts against Yannick Hanfmann from Germany, Brouwer meets Australian Max Purcell.

Botic van de Zandschulp, Tallon Griekenpoor and Tim van Rijthoven are already certain of participating in the third grand slam tournament of the year. Van de Zandschulp and Greek track are automatically admitted based on their place in the world ranking. Van Rijthoven received a wildcard after he won the Rosmalen grass tournament.

The Wimbledon main draw starts on Monday, June 27.

Stuyven three more years at Trek-Segafredo

10:46 am: Jasper Stuyven will also ride for the Trek-Segafredo cycling team for the next three years. The 30-year-old Belgian has been with the team since 2012, first with the training team. Earlier, the American team already extended the contract with Bauke Mollema. The Dutchman has even been fixed until 2026.

Stuyven has stage victories in the Tour of Spain and the BinckBank Tour to his name. He achieved his greatest success last year with a win in the spring classic Milan-Sanremo. A year earlier he had already won the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad in his own country. “The fact that I have been with this team for so long proves how much I feel at home here,” Stuyven reacted to the contract extension. “We have already had beautiful moments together and I want to add a few things to that in the coming years.”

According to team manager Luca Guercilena, winning a stage in the Tour de France is one of Stuyven’s main goals. “I’m looking forward to seeing him fight for it next month,” Guercilena said.

Steenbergen and Corbeau to semi-finals at World Swimming Championships

10.38 am: Marrit Steenbergen and Caspar Corbeau have reached the semifinals at the World Swimming Championships in Budapest. Steenbergen did that in the 200-meter freestyle, Corbeau in the 50-meter breaststroke. Both will return to action on Monday evening. That also applies to Kira Toussaint who swims the final in the 100 meter backstroke.

Steenbergen previously just missed the final in the 200-meter medley. In the 200 free she was good for the thirteenth time in the series: 1.58.33. The fastest swimmer was the Chinese Yang Junxuan in 1.56.58.

Corbeau qualified eleventh for the semifinals in a time of 27.48. In the 50 school, the Italian Nicolo Martinenghi set the best time: 26.68.

Van de Zandschulp now number 26 in the world

08.27 am: Botic van de Zandschulp has risen three places in the world ranking. By reaching the semi-finals at the Queen’s grass tournament in London, he climbed to 26th place. Never before has Van de Zandschulp stood so high. He started this year as number 57 in the world.

Tallon Greek track climbed from 61st to 53rd place in the ATP ranking. He owed this progression to reaching the second round at the Halle grass tournament. Tim van Rijthoven, winner in Rosmalen more than a week ago, rose a place without taking action himself. He is now number 105 in the world.

Thanks to a wildcard, Van Rijthoven can participate in the main tournament at Wimbledon in one week. On the basis of their ranking, Van de Zandschulp and Greekpoor had long been certain of participating in the third grand slam tournament of this year. At the top of the rankings, nothing changed. The Russian Daniil Medvedev is the number 1 in the world.